How to get Vietnam visa
First of all, it’s to note here that Vietnam visa is needed regardless of your means of travel to the country. There are basically two ways to get your Vietnam visa. One is the conventional route of attaining visa directly from Vietnam Embassy. Another route is the online way to attain the Vietnam visa.
Directly from Vietnam Embassy
In this case you would have to travel to the nearest Vietnam Embassy office to apply and receive your Vietnam visa. It is a time consuming and elaborate process- hence you should plan early. You can browse the internet to know about the Vietnam Embassy office close to your location. The conventional route to attain Vietnam visa is available for any foreign national going to Vietnam- regardless of the means of travel.
The Online route to get visa on arrival at airports of Vietnam
When you go for the online route, there is no need to travel physically to the Vietnam Embassy office. There are online Vietnam visa companies to assist you here, enabling you to carry the process from home only. The whole process would be conducted online- be it visa application or payment submission or receipt of Vietnam visa approval letter. This is also called Vietnam visa on arrival facility as you will have your visa stamped when you reach the Vietnam international airport. However, it’s to note here that the online Vietnam visa on arrival facility is exclusively meant for travelers flying to Vietnam. The visa approval letter, accredited by the Vietnam Immigration Department, would be sent to your email. You would need to take a print out of it and carry it to the Vietnam airport.
Vietnam visa exemption
It’s to note here that Vietnam government has exempted some countries from visa formalities for a certain period of time:
- Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore & Laos- 30 days maximum
- Philippines- maximum 21 days
- Myanmar & Brunei- maximum 14 days
- Japan, Russia, Finland, South Korea, Norway, Sweden- 15 days maximum
- APEC ABTC candidates- maximum 60 days
- Besides, from 2014, nationals from Australia, India, France, UK & Germany have also been exempted from Vietnam visa formalities by the Vietnam government. This particular facility is meant for the government officers with the diplomat passport who would be on official trip to the country.